Gray and Yellow

My absolute favorite thing about my new bathroom. The barn light! In bright yellow!

I also like my $9 shower curtain. A hand grommeted drop cloth.

Here are the details of my little bathroom redo:
Since the floor is 25 square feet, I went a little crazy on the materials. Marble basket weave! I wanted to keep it in the '20s but also make it fresh and new. That tile we found at Mission Tile, our neighborhood tile place. It was thicker than the home depot basket weave and just a little bit more per square foot.

With the small space situation, I used the beveled subway tile all the way to the ceiling to make the room look bigger.  And I added two niches in the shower so I wouldn't need to add any storage in the form of shower caddies or whatnot.
Because the subway tile is raised in the middle, I found some marble to use as the shelf part of the niche. They are 6 x 12 inch marble tiles from home depot. I swear I spent an hour in the tile aisle trying to find exactly the product I needed for each situation in my bathroom.
And we have a window in the shower! I've always liked it, my alternative being no window in the bathroom, I guess. But I hate the privacy options available when you order a window.
So I went for window film. not martha had a lot of information and I found some favorites, but the shipping from England was $45! I ended up using mesh by dc fix from wall pops. We decided not to do the top window, but I haven't showered in there yet, so we'll see...
In this pic you can really see the bevels in the tile. And you get the view from the bathers perspective. It's like a Frida Kahlo painting!
Now you can see why I had to remove the door. It bumps your legs while you pee, so one cannot photograph the room while the door is open. 

We had to refinish the door because, like, five years ago, I stripped the paint off the bottom quarter of the door. Which meant I had to spend three days stripping the seven layers off the rest of the door. Also? That stuff burns.
Here's another shot of the Lowe's vanity I refinished with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I am now a believer and would pretty much do whatever Annie Sloan wants me to do. That stuff works wonders! I even got my mom to refinish her bathroom vanity with it. Here I used French Linen and clear and dark wax mixed.
Because it took me so long to find all the random pieces of tile for the space, I have to show you how it came out! I used a cove base to make it easy to clean. And for the transition between tiles, I found a mosaic border that I was able to cut into long strips of little bricks. I can't find it online, but it was four rows of offset marble tiles. 
Here's a photo of the whole room again. Door removed. It doesn't really feel like it's a room in my house yet. I'm sure the boys will take care of that really soon.

1 comment

Jennifer said...

This is straight up beautiful, Boots. Nice job.