Backsplash to the Future!

This last weekend, my mom came out for a visit and I was finally able to go shopping for my kitchen! I got the Ikea birch counter tops and a white apron front sink. They are resting in a corner waiting for John and I to have time to put them in.

Then my mom wanted to go tile shopping. Since I'm installing a new sink and new countertops, my mom thought I should look at backsplashes! But I think she really wanted to look at tile for her own kitchen...

I found the one above at a fancy tile shop. Around $24/sqft. Yikes!

I found this at Home Depot for $7/sqft:
There is a slight difference but not a $17 difference!

I also thought maybe white penny tiles would be cool:
These are from modwalls in marshmallow.

John wasn't a fan, but I like how it's both vintage and modern. 

He wanted something with color. 'Cause you know what my kitchen is lacking? Color.
 So, while looking for some color for the backsplash, I found this:

Chevbone?

To get a good chevron pattern, I'd need a tile that was more than twice as long as it was wide. So like a 2" x 6". Try finding those in more than one color. (I did find them, for $40/sqft!)

But! Don't give up hope! I found these!
Individually, they look like this:
 John thought they looked too "Grecian," but they also had yellow!
It may be too much color, but it's worth a shot. It would be so fresh and fun to have a sunny backsplash!

What do you think? Should I stick with white and add pattern? Or go with color?

John's been sick and refuses to talk tile, so I'd love any input you have!!

6 comments

Unknown said...

I think the yellow is too much with all the other colors in the room. Is there a way to add some yellow without it being so much? And for the record the tile shopping was for your backsplash but then when I saw how much FABULOUS tile they had I had to keep looking.

MOM XOXO

Suzie Thomas said...

Most home bars consist mainly of cabinets, which causes plenty of trips backward and forward towards kitchen. transforming your dry bar to a wet bar by using a bar sink can considerably increase your home bar experience.

Inspired By Felicity said...

Just noticed your chalkboard wall - I love it! Not a big fan of yellow, but I love the green tile floor you found.

-Pamela, InspiredByFelicity.blogspot.com

my honest answer said...

I like the home depot tiles. And I like the price too!

altadenahiker said...

The door/cat photo is wonderful. Frame it.

thistlewoodfarm said...

Okay....those tiles from home depot are my pick!!!! I love the color....could you pick a fun grout color? Just a thought.

Have an awesome day!
karianne