I did it all for the nook...ie

Remember this? This was the kitchen before the wall came down.

I took it down, and then painted and patched and finished the subfloor. Then I brought in my vintage Heywood Wakefield table. The table of my dreams that I found covered in paint at a thrift store for $180. We added some chairs and a bench and we were happy.
But the table was a little too big for the space. So I had to come up with another idea. I really wanted a little nook with benches lining the wall. Something I could push into the corner when not in use. I searched and searched for inexpensive options, like super cheap.

Then I found this:
A locker! I have been wanting one for that exact space forever! I needed storage for spices and only had 13 inches of space to squeeze in a cabinet. These lockers are 12" wide and 6' tall,...perfect!

Except that it was also 18" deep...sad face. So it took up a lot of depth and we lost the spot for our garbage can.

So I moved it. And it created the perfect nookish area!

After scads of research I found these benches:

From Ikea at $10 each, they were exactly what I wanted. I bought 4. I also needed cushions! Luckily, Ikea helped me out with 4 pillows from their AS-IS section for $1 each. And with some fabric I found at a yard sale for $5, from the Ivory Coast no less, I have 4 gorgeous cushions and a bench for $50!

From this:
To this:
That's a lot of work! But I haven't even shown you the table!

A long time ago, John and I found a solid oak table on the side of the road. Eventually we cut down the top for a top to our portable dishwasher.

See?:
But we still had the pedestal base! John tried to get rid of it, but I knew I could use it someday!

For the table top we bought 3 pine boards, 6" x 6', (for $10) cut them in half for a table that measures 36" x33"*, which was exactly how big the table could be without overpowering the space!
Nice, right?! Wait! That was before the pillows were finished!

Okay, now:
I really needed a table that could take Legos and marker and dents and scratches and all that comes with 4 and 5 year old boys. Six coats of polyurethane will see to that!

(Okay I still have one more pillow to make. But have you tried tufting?! It's hard!)

We ate dinner last night at the new table and we all finally fit!And I wasn't worried about the spaghetti sauce staining my table like I was with the pretty vintage one.

We spent $60 total and have a new kitchen nook that can take abuse and still look good!

Whole enchilada:
Phenomenally cheap design!...Itty-bitty kitchen space!


*Pine boards that measure 1" x 6" x 6' are actually 3/4" x 5-1/2" x 6' due to the way the wood is processed. Keep that in mind if you have exact measurements for a project.










12 comments

Unknown said...

I love the color table base with the aqua walls. So pretty! And economical!
- Rachel from suitsandaprons.wordpress.com

Dharma said...

Super smart! Over from becolorful :) Can you email me the IKEA bench name? You just gave me the BEST idea ;)

heidi said...

Your new nook looks so cozy. The color combo is fantastic!

Big D and Me said...

This looks wonderful - I love searching that clearance section at IKEA - and I really like the blues and purples of the fabric - completely understand about the lego issue

Unknown said...

Very nice!

Jays said...

I love that you wrote this entire narrative! It really looks gorgeous now.

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

This space is awesome! I love the locker! It would be super cool if would come by today to enter my giveaway for a $50 Lowe's gift card and to link up to my very first party! http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/imagine-the-impossibilities-link-party-1/
Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

Unknown said...

What a difference since the wall came down! It's so much brighter and open now! Love it!

the cape on the corner said...

that little nook (ie) is the perfect new space. it's better that the table didn't work out!

Be Colorful Coastal said...

I'm not worthy. Thrifty, resourceful AND chic. Very impressive.
Thanks for sharing on Motivated Monday at BeColorful
Pam

Sandy said...

Love your makeover! I hope you'll find a spot for the Hey-Wake, it's co nice!

Unknown said...

I need you to figure out my office. I need some . . . space.